Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Spontaneous + Redneck + Good Southern Upbringin' = Covert Swimming Ops

I have no pictures; the use of the word spontaneous should explain why.

We went to Walmart yesterday to get Bubba a new computer (his reward for pooping on the potty). We strolled through the store chanting that Bubba is a super dooper pooper and he glowed with joy and it was like a children's video.

On our way to the car Little had off-handedly said, "It's warm enough today to swim in my new pool, Mom." Memom bought the kids a big plastic pool for backyard dips and until this week it has really been too cool to get out and get wet. But my ever observant and always persistent Little was correct - it was PLENTY warm enough for swimming in her new pool (96 with 105% humidity).

Little's next exclamation was, "and we could swim NAKEY." (I blame this on her having a father from SOUTH Georgia!) Being a sweet and sophisticated (cough) Birmingham gal, I shuddered appropriately, said "Bathing suits are for swimming, dahlin' ", and went about changing the subject by singing a round of Super Dooper Pooper for Bubba.

The one mile drive home from Wally World was spent planning our pool excursion. Goals: speedy transition time, easy clean up, maximum fun. Honey left town yesterday and I suddenly realized this could be an opportunity for easy bathing and a smooth evening routine.When I pulled back into our driveway I parked the van at an odd slant so as to hide from the view of passerbys the little patch of grass I had picked for the pool. I had the hose in the pool within minutes and zipped inside for towels. Then, using Jeff Foxworthy as my inner motivator, I said, "Everybody get undressed to your diaper."

The next 40 min. were surprisingly entertaining. The kids LOVED the pool: KB did laps around the outer edge of the pool and giggled pretty constantly. Little laid on her stomach, glided forward and backward and exclaimed CONSTANTLY, "I'm swimmin' ", and Bubba stood and jumped onto his rear end to create massive splashes. (I DID grab a wash cloth while in the house and used it quickly to "bathe" everyone between splashes.)

The fun for me came in watching their disposable diapers expand to three times their normal size. EVERY time Bubba stood up to prepare for his next splash, he would have to hold on to his pull-up so it went with him out of the water. KB was pretty distressed about the weight and size of her diaper - she kept asking for a new one. Little never noticed - she was too busy "swimmin'". It was awesome.

After this spontaneous burst of fun my practical side kicked it up a notch and I picked each kid out of the pool, wrapped a towel around them THEN pulled their diaper tabs to remove their wetness, and sent them inside through the basement. ALL OF THIS blocked by the minivan. I am a super dooper trooper!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Excellent parking plan :). Hope you have plenty more happy swimming experiences.

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin' it. Wish I'd been there to watch. Will try it while you're visiting next week. :) MM

amy sanders said...

my computer is dead. and i'm at my parents without your e-mail address. so, i figured this was as good a place as any to let you know that the 1st works for me. check with your mom and let me know. :)

Shannon a.k.a. that thing you see moving under the laundry said...

haha! cute blog post! You go girl :) You are a super duper trooper of a super duper pooper!

Julia said...

a video montage would have been fun too!

annaj said...

please do it again with a camera handy!