Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Schedules - a whole new level

This is a new part of our lives here at the Blue Hutch. Bubba has a picture schedule that he carries around during the day to let him know the plan. He moves the red pointer after something is finished and he's off to the next thing.

It's been amazing to see how this has helped him. It's not so much that he didn't already know what came next in the morning routine - we've done the same thing just about every morning of his 3.5 years. Still, there is security in having the schedule in his hand it seems. Also, it has helped him communicate with us.

The other night he had his schedule and after dinner I asked, "What's next? Jammies?" He said, "No" and moved the teardrop over to "Go Potty". He took off for the bathroom and went potty. We got jammies on and I moved the pointer over to "Read a book and Pray" and Bubba said, "No - go sleep" and moved the pointer over to the sleeping square. He was really so tired that night. It was GREAT for him to be able to tell us without a tantrum and us forcing a book on him. Seriously, if he wants to skip the book he is REALLY tired.

So, thanks Mrs. Laura for such a great tool. He loves it. How do I know? This afternoon he came to me and said, "Where is my schedule, momma?"

4 comments:

Amanda said...

This is great! We have just started something very similar, though not with pictures because most of my children are older. But I was looking for pictures like this for our three year old. I drew the ones we use at the moment and when I pointed to the picture for cleaning her teeth I asked her to tell me what it was. She said, "It's a banana." I need to know where you got your lovely pictures from.
Blessings from Australia.

Marcie said...

That is great, Becky! I am so glad you have found something like this that can help you all.

Debbie said...

What a great tool! How fun to already see what a blessing it has been to Bubba (and you).

Nicole said...

I really like the anatomically correct picture of "go potty". :)