Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Probably my longest post. . .

There was a time in my life when my biggest concerns centered on whether or not I was going to get married before Jesus came back. Seriously. I was single until just before I turned 30 and while that isn’t really old, I watched most of my friends get married (many from up close in a LOVELY bridesmaid’s gown that I have worn over and over again just like they promised – NOT) and swayed between loving my adventures as a single and wanting a husband and family.

During this overly mature phase in my walk with the Lord, I attended church with my parents and remember the pastor speaking of longing for Heaven. I remember turning to my daddy and asking if it was wrong to like it here on Earth; after all I was having a great time, had lots of friends, it was probably sunny that day, etc. I honestly don’t remember what my daddy said in response (I do remember a half-cocked grin) but I know I left that sermon with no greater longing for heaven and almost a determination to enjoy my life here as much as possible.

Jump ahead 12 years (or so) and here I sit in the Midwestville. I have lost one baby; have a daughter with a “special brain”, a son with Autism, and an 18 month old with a will that is stronger than cement. There was a time when I struggled to see the brokenness of our world and now I am struck daily with the rubble. Last week I looked around our table at lunch and my son was shaking his head back and forth over and over and over while my oldest was repeating some sentence over and over and over and my youngest was hurling green beans onto the floor over and over. Brokenness.

That night we read from The Jesus Storybook Bible. I mentioned this book to you guys over a year ago but when I looked into for my kids, decided they were just too “young” to get it yet. This Christmas my brother challenged me to think again and get the book. His challenge to me was to read it to the kids and trust they would get more out of it than I knew. Also, he bet me that my own heart would be touched and changed by what was written in this precious book.

So, we got it and have been reading it. I cry on a regular basis as my heart is touched over and over by Sally Lloyd-Jones’ words. On this particular night we were reading The Servant King the story of the last supper from Mark 14 and John 13-14. I am going to put it here for you:

“It was Passover, the time when God’s people remembered how God had rescued them from being slaves in Egypt. Every year they killed a lamb and ate it. ‘The Lamb died instead of us!’ they would say.

“But this Passover, God was getting ready for an even Greater Rescue.

“Jesus and his friends were having the Passover meal together in an upstairs room. But Jesus’ friends were arguing. What about? They were arguing about stinky feet. Stinky feet? Yes, that’s right. Stinky feet.

“(Now the thing about feet back then was that people didn’t wear shoes; they only wore sandals, which might not sound unusual, except that the streets in those days were dirty – and I don’t mean just dusty dirty – I mean really stinky dirty. With all those cows and horses everywhere, you can imagine the stuff on the street that ended up on their feet!)

“So anyway, someone had to wash away the dirt, but it was a dreadful job. Who on earth would ever dream of volunteering to do it?

“Only the lowliest servant.

‘I’m not the servant!’ Peter said.
‘Nor am I!’ said Matthew.
“Quietly, Jesus got up from the table, took off his robe, picked up a basin of water, knelt down, and started to wash his friends’ feet.

‘You can’t,’ Peter said. He didn’t understand about Jesus being the Servant King.
‘If you don’t let me wash away the dirt, Peter,’ Jesus said, ‘you can’t be close to me.’

“Jesus knew that what people needed most was to be clean on the inside. All the dirt on their feet was nothing compared to the sin inside their hearts.

‘Then wash me, Lord!’ Peter said, tears filling his eyes. ‘All of me!’

“One by one, Jesus washed everyone’s feet.
‘I am doing this because I love you,’ Jesus explained. ‘Do this for each other.’

. . . . couple paragraphs about Judas. . . .

“Then Jesus picked up some bread and broke it. He gave it to his friends. He picked up a cup of wine and thanked God for it. He poured it out and shared it.

‘My body is like this bread. It will break,’ Jesus told them. ‘This cup of wine is like my blood. It will pour out.’

‘But this is how God will rescue the whole world. My life will break and God’s broken world will mend. My heart will tear apart – and your hearts will heal. Just as the Passover lamb died, so now I will die instead of you. My blood will wash away all of your sins. And you will be clean on the inside – in your hearts.’”

“But this is how God will rescue the whole world. My life will break and God’s broken world will mend.” No more head shaking and absent stares from Bubba. Little’s brain will be whole. KB will live to obey J! All that is broken will mend.

Do I long for heaven? YES! Now I long for heaven. Do I want Him to wait and return after my kids grow up and get married? NO WAY! Come quickly Lord Jesus! Mend our brokenness. Be glorified in our mending.

10 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

Oh Becky! I can't imagine what you go through each day. I have 3 and they are "normal" brained kids. i want to pull my hair out at times!!!

I would never wish any type of "special" child on anyone, but I really believe that Heavenly Father gives those spirits to the best people who can walk with them and help them - after all, they too are entitled to life on earth.

I cried. You are fabulous. I sure am glad we've "met"

Bethany said...

Becky, we have that book and the problem is I can't read it to the kids without crying. It speaks more to me than to them at this point. The thing I love the most is how every story points us to Jesus. I was not taught to see the Bible, especially the OT, that way so it has been very special for that reason. And I agree with you, Come Lord Jesus!!!

Marcie said...

Thanks, friend, for sharing all of this. I have been wanting to get that Bible for us. Now I am even more motivated.

I can relate about growth towards wanting the Lord's return. The pain in the world is so hard. I am so sorry that you feel the brokenness so close to home and heart, but so glad you find hope and strength in our Savior. Maranatha!

~Mad said...

Frankly - I am thinking about getting the book for me - childless, single and weary.

Thanks for sharing.
~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

Catherine said...

Becky, thank you SOOO much for sharing this beautiful post - and all that is on your heart. I agree with the most recent comment there - my 3 "normal " brained children, and how I often respond to them sinfully, reminds me enough of the brokenness that pervades my own life and family. I'm with you -- come, Lord Jesus!

Debbie said...

I, too, am very aware of the brokenness of this world, as I see my own sin and the sin of those around me. Thanks for sharing your heart. That story book sounds great. Do you think my girls are too old for it?

Annie said...

Becky,
Nick brought that book home from a Youth Ministry conference in St. Louis recently and we have been making our way through it.
But as fate (God's sovereignty) would have it, we arrived at The Servant King this evening and that was the one that I read aloud to the kids at probably about the same time you were reading it (or writing the post.)
I always think it is so neat when things like that happen and the world seems so small and I feel so connected to people like you who I never see....
It IS a great Bible and I have been planning to give it to my non-Christian (or non-believing) friends as a new baby gift. For my friends who have heard the gospel and either walked away or rejected it, I think it might be a wonderful way for them to hear the true message of the Bible in a fresh way!

Oh, and by the way....I have been pretty down in the depths the past few weeks, trying to juggle trips to the PT to "heal" my tailbone (which is not healing) and trying to keep up with a messy house and three children that live to make the mess and push me to my limits and push all of my buttons as often as they can.
For all of these reasons (along with the dreary, cold, rainy weather we have been having) I am longing for heaven!!!
~annie

Kitty said...

I cry when I read Ainsley from that book. I think referring to Jesus as our "rescuer" somehow gets across to A a bit easier...and maybe me, too.
Come, Jesus. Come.

Allison said...

LOVE LOVE that Bible- have recommended it so many times! I love the way it ties in the OT to Jesus in such a simple yet profound way. His Word NEVER returns void- it will be amazing to see the return in your life!!

Peggy said...

Hey there, you’ve blogged about The Jesus Storybook Bible in the past and we want to give you the exciting opportunity to help us celebrate the release of the Deluxe Edition this October! All throughout September we’ll be sending updates about ways you can win copies of the Deluxe Edition (which features the entire Jesus Storybook Bible read by award-winning British actor, David Suchet) and free resources you can share with others! To register for these updates and exclusive information, visit http://fs18.formsite.com/zondervan/form475219780/ and sign up!
Sincerely,
Zonderkidz Marketing