Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Southwest - the fun (and informative) airline

=  

I really like flying Southwest.  The flight attendants often make me laugh out loud and the people flying are generally pleasant too.  What I didn't know about the airline is just how much you could learn from reading their in-flight magazine.  On my trip to Birmingham, I had to change planes in New Orleans and so the trip was a bit longer than usual.  I finished my Bible Study and picked up the magazine, Spirit, to peruse during the last 20 min. or so.  These are the interesting facts I picked up:

1.  The Weather Channel was started in 1982 by a man named Frank Batten, Sr. who lives in Norfolk, VA.

2.  A lightning bolt is five times hotter than the sun's surface.  (The sun's surface is 10,000 degrees F)

3.  Girls send three times as many texts as boys.

4.  There are 170 stores and 15 restaurants on the Miracle Mile (Chicago).

5.  Build-a-Bear was started and has headquarters in Missouri

6.  Complisult - n. a backhanded compliment.  Sugar coated insult.  (Use that in a sentence five times today and it's YOURS!) ex. "Your hair looks surprisingly good today."

7.  The area in CA from San Bernardino to the desert of Palm Springs is the third most populous area in the state and is known as The Inland Empire.

8.  The Marine Corps largest base is located just outside of Twentynine Palms, CA.

9.  Carrot Top is still performing stand-up.  You can see him in Las Vegas at the Luxor for $50/ticket.  (I don't know what is more astonishing - that he is still performing or that people pay $50 to see him.)

10.  There are 47,000 students at Tidewater Community College.

11.  The Virginia Arts Festival is in it's 15th season.

12.  Pacemakers are electronic devices that are ALWAYS permitted on Southwest Airlines.  Remote Control toys are NEVER permitted. 

Now, see how smart you are and you didn't even have to fly!
Maybe I should change the blog's tagline: "The Blue Hutch: Increasing your knowledge base, one post at a time."

2 comments:

amy said...

and southwest just bought out airtran (which flies out of ATLANTA!!!) when my dad told me, i said, "i think there is a trip to st. louis in my near future!!) :)

Julia said...

And to think I was just on a SW flight this afternoon and did not even think to pick up the magazine and read it cover to cover...I will on Tuesday when I board yet another flight out of St. Louis. I was too busy trying to get through the book The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo