Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Words For Strangers

I am stopped OFTEN in stores by complete strangers who comment to me about my children. Is this common for all moms of small children? The comments range in topic from the children's ages to their present behavior.

I have been told that my children are very cute, sweet, and well behaved, but more recently, the comments have been about their more rowdy behavior. To try to make excuses for them is not a valid use of time - they are depraved and need Jesus. The thing is that more than one woman has said to me, "Believe it or not there will be a time when you will miss days like this." (or something along those lines.) Several women have even teared up as they watched my "devil children" and made these sentimental statements.

Each time someone says this it makes me think of the lyrics to Trace Adkins' "You're Gonna Miss This":
"You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

I like the song. I even get a little teary when I hear it. . . if I am riding in the van. . . alone.
Mostly, though, these women say these things to me, I think of the song, and I smile politely.

The time has come to say what I think. I need to get this off my chest. Three words, that's all it is, but it MUST BE SAID! To you strangers who are convinced I am going to look back and miss my three children climbing all over a buggy in Walmart while screaming and hitting each other, or miss my youngest slapping my glasses off in Schnucks because I won't let her ride in the car buggy after blatantly disobeying me, or even miss the sound of three youngsters chiming, "I need go potty", "I need push poopy", and "I'm so very wet" in unison. . . to you I say,

"NO, I WON'T"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Jo Ann

Debbie said...

I've been there!!

Julia said...

Yes you will... smile wink wink from a singelton with no children but 4 dings!

Anonymous said...

No you won't. I just left those days, and these days of funny jokes and home runs are pretty darn good! :) MO

Allison said...

that made me laugh out loud (the part about the glasses...) Nathan got mad at me today and walked up and kicked me twice. lovely, huh?