Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm More Interesting When I'm Reading

I am reading a book by Donald Miller entitled, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I think it is GREAT. In short, Mr. Miller is sharing thoughts on living a good story. The style of writing is so easy to read and I have found myself laughing out loud on many occasions only to be stunned into silence by the shockingly sobering thought that follows. I don't know if conviction is the right word, but my heart is being stirred by the words on the pages.

This quote was one of the earlier to strike at my heart,

"I was watching the news the other night, and they were still covering that story in Mumbai about the terrorists who went on a shooting rampage. The man on the news said that before the terrorists killed the Jews in the Jewish center, they tortured them. I had to turn off the television, because I could see the torture in my head the way they were describing it. I kept imagining these people, just living their daily lives, and then having them suddenly ended in unjust tragedy. When we watch the news, we grieve all of this, but when we go to the movies, we want more of it. Somehow we realize that great stories are told in conflict, but we are unwilling to embrace the potential greatness of the story we are actually in. We think God is unjust, rather than a master storyteller."
I get so frustrated by my life in the day to day. Could it be that the Writer of my story is truly a MASTER storyteller and his plot is truly better than any I could write on my own? Do you trust the Master?
Susan, this is one to add to your list!!!

2 comments:

~Mad said...

It is! And, yes, I do trust Him! Implicitly!
Great book, huh?
Now I need to read his others.
~Mad

Allison said...

I have read other books by him, but not this one. I will definitely get it soon. Love his writing.