Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Good Night, Sleep Tight

I just shut the third and final door to end a night time routine that has become my favorite part of every day. I LOVE putting my kids to bed (and not because it means 11+ hours of quiet). I truly get a kick out of it.

I love how they look in their jammies.

I love reading fun stories to them and watching their expressions change with the intensity of the story's emotion.

I love reading to them about Jesus and hearing the questions they ask and comments they give that involuntarily shows their hearts.

I love snuggling with them and singing a song or two. Bubba wants to snuggle down, hold my hand, and have me sing to him. At the end of every song I get a, "nice singing, mama." Little doesn't want me too close but usually wants a hymn. KB wants to "rock" and "sing" (said as commands more than requests) and loves "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus. There's just something about that name." and "Isn't He wonderful? wonderful Wonderful. Isn't Jesus my Lord wonderful?"

I love praying for them in front of them and I love hearing their prayers as simple as they may be.
.......................................................................

Tonight I was laying on the floor reading about the calling of the twelve disciples. As the story began there was a LOT of commotion. KB was sitting on my back and looking over my shoulders at the book's pictures. Bubba was in constant motion and Little would be on her tummy one moment and sitting up another moment. All of a sudden there was silence - sort of. I guess I should say stillness. As I continued reading I glanced around.

KB was no longer on my back; she was on a stool with The Little Engine that Could in her lap and saying, "choo choo choo" under her breath. Bubba was leaning against the closet door with Hop on Pop in his lap and chanting "All Wall. We all are on the Wall." Little was right up against my side and turning through . . . I can't remember what. I stopped reading and they all immediately looked up as if to say, "What?"

I started reading again and they started mumbling their lines. It wasn't until I started SINGING "There were twelve disciples Jesus called to help Him" that I had their attention and their silence. We could be a sitcom - - or a crazy reality show. No matter what the network would demand, I would not negotiate when it came to bedtime. I get such a kick out of it as it is. I just love it.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Wish it was a sitcom. I would watch. That made me grin!

annaj said...

I laughed out loud at that one! Love it! Love those kids!