Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Belated Birthday Party

All six little girls from Little's class showed up last Friday in their dress up dresses and with their mommies in tow. I think only one found our home without a phone call to verify directions and only one was here at 2:00PM (when the party started), but it was really fun. The girls would stand at the window and squeal the others' names as they arrived. I loved having the mommies in my home and hoped they felt welcome and at ease. Having my own mommy here was a GIFT to me - she thought of all the little things I had forgotten. i.e. how we were going to hang the signs and who was going to serve the food and where would we put the gifts. God was gracious and everything went well. Little had a great time. How do I know? Just yesterday, as we drove down the street, she said to no one in particular, "And ALL my friends came to my house and we wore our dresses. We had so much fun." Mission accomplished.

Before the guests arrived, Little went "into" the dressing room and tried out the mirror, put on her eye shadow, and had me paint her nails -- just like all the other girls would do upon arrival.
Once everyone was decked out we had a photo shoot in the "Photo Booth". Each girl got her picture taken with Little. Funny thing - I forgot to get a photo of everyone together. I'm losing my touch.
We went out to the "Tea Room"
for a bit of craftiness and it was hilarious - all the moms stayed kicked back in the den as though they were going to chat it up while I entertained their kiddies. NO WAY. So, I went in and said, "This is a 'hands on, mommy' party! Everybody out to the porch!" They were shocked but followed me out and helped their girls make a necklace to wear home.
Then came the food. Memom had made and cut little PB&J tea sandwiches.
There were cheese biscuits, sugar cookies, and cupcakes (of course!).
And then opening gifts in the den. Pandemonium!
A friend from the school had come to take Bubba and KB to the park to play. When they arrived home a few girls were still here and KB wasted no time going to get some dress up goodness of her own.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO fun! I am a party planner at heart. What a fun idea and to be able to move from one room to another is great!!! I especially love the porch all white, it felt fancy and delicate, like tea!

Anonymous said...

What a super fun party! I love it! Love that she mentioned it out loud.

Debbie said...

Looks like a fun party and Little obviously loved it!!

Melanie Z. said...

Kudos to you for "making" the moms get involved. I was at a very awkward b-day party recently where most of the moms (who showed up uninvited, by the way) did just what you said while the 24 (I think) kids ran around like Indians. (Pirates, actually, since that was the theme.) My philosophy is, if you're there, you need to be helping out! Glad you were finally able to do it and that it went so well.

Melanie Z. said...

Not all the moms stayed, by the way. It was supposed to be "kids only"...but I guess some missed the memo.

emily said...

Looks like so much fun! I LOVE the cupcakes...so cute! The white "tea room" looks so fancy. What a special birthday party. I'm so glad Little had so much fun.

~Mad said...

What a precious idea! Will you adopt me?? And I am so glad the moms "stepped up" and helped.

Best birthday I ever had, other than Looney's Roller Skating Rink was one where we had suitcases (or train cases, remember those? maybe not) of old clothes - we ran to the other end of the yard. Dressed up in them. Ran back to start.Undressed, repacked. My daddy got it on movie film - I must go find that!
Okay, little trip down memory lane there....thanks!
~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

Cathy said...

That was a wonderful birthday for her... She really enjoyed the party, those cupcakes were awesome, I like those bag designs you designed to it..