Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pride, You Haunt Me

Tonight was the first night I was truly embarrassed about working at Wal-Mart. I have battled feeling like I need to explain myself every time I tell someone and they give me the "I am so sorry. Is there some other way?" look. But tonight I fought shame. I HATE THAT!

I looked up and standing in my line was the kids' pediatrician, Dr. Dave. He did NOTHING that would cause me to be embarrassed (Marcie, he was wearing a very plain pinstriped oxford), it was all my pride.

SHOOT!

(He did ask if my kids were well - thought that was funny. Then he went into a story about his five year old and how his mom bought the same Lego set that "Santa" had already bought and he was frantically trying to figure out how to smooth this over before Thursday. The funniest thing was when he said, "I can't wait until that kid doesn't believe anymore." Hmmm.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you so much. You are so honest and especially tonight, when our own Lord and Savior took on human flesh in such humility- your post strikes me as powerful. There is beauty in doing what it takes for your calling.

Marcie said...

I am sorry that you felt shame. I really am. But, at the same time, I am cracking up. Dr. Dave. Very funny, you and Dr. Dave. Never a dull moment when the two of you are together. And, thanks for the shirt update. Fun to get to see his nonprofessional wear. Love you, friend and love that you are working at Wal-Mart. Shame, be gone.