Pages

Monday, October 20, 2008

Torrent Struck and Standing Firm

I attend Bible study at my church on Tuesday mornings. This is the second year I have been able to do so and it has been such a blessing. Last year we studied Deuteronomy and this year we are looking at Luke. I try to do the questions throughout the week but the past two Monday nights have found me reading the assignment and answering questions at late hours.

#10 in this week's lesson reads, "Has there ever been a time in your life when a 'torrent struck' and you discovered God's Word to be a sure foundation? Could you relate that to your group?" My group is SO LUCKY! It just so happens that a torrent struck today at the Blue Hutch and thankfully, God's Word is our only means of standing.

We took Bubba to Dr. Altman's office and spent over an hour in discussion. Dr. Altman asked our reason for coming, our observations, direct diagnostic questions, and (bluntly) what we wanted from him. Then he gave his diagnosis. He said nothing I didn't fully expect him to say.

Words used include mild Autism, speech therapy, occupational therapy, stay hopeful, work hard, and very bright. There is sadness in being told. There is peace in knowing. There is direction from knowing. Can't you just hear the wind and feel the rains beating down?

Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

Psalm 139, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them."

Our God knows our Thomas and chose to create him just the way he is for the specific purpose He has preordained. Hallelujah, What a Savior!

Thanks to all of you who wrote and called today. That was EXTRA sweet. I have felt very loved and cared for. Amy, I am sorry I missed you - wasn't up for it tonight but would love to chat later. Keep praying.

"Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
by the living Word of God I shall prevail,
standing on the promises of God. "

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Becky.

Those promises are sure, and I praise God that you are standing firm while the torrent strikes.
Not only has God knit Thomas just the way He wants him, but He also knit you together to be Thomas' Mama -- He knows what He is doing. We are thinking of you and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That's my girl! MM

amy said...

love you. more than words can say.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't know you had a doctor's appointment...I love that picture of Bubba. He is so stinkin' cute! Love you friend.

Anonymous said...

I love your honesty and especially the tension between sadness and peace in hearing what the doctor said. I am so thankful that you know his promises and can ground your feet down deep in them as you learn about these things. you are so loved.