Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2008

July Fourth!

Hope you had a super 4th - ours was so nice. The weather was AMAZING and so we picnicked in the yard and didn't even break a sweat (I think that was a first for all my years in America on July 4). It was very "redneck meets Midwest" in that we had a six foot table slapped up in the yard with NO tablecloth, the kids table sitting beside with one unfinished chair, and a card table holding the food. I tried to "cute it up" a bit with my tin cans, duck tape, and scrapbook paper (oh duck tape is my new FAVORITE - what can't it do??) I asked the guests to imagine white linens blowing in the breeze, flickering candles, and soft music - Martha would have had a heart attack.

Our dear friends, the Allens and Barbers spent the evening with us. There was pulled barbecue sandwiches, baked beans, deviled eggs, chips, cantaloupe, jalapeno poppers (grilled by Chris), homemade ice cream, and cupcakes (for the kids - wink wink!). There was swinging, laughter, eating, laughter, baths for babies, and more laughter. It was a fun and relaxing evening. Can't wait to do it again.
The Allens: Chris, Jen, M and I. Chris served us in Afghanistan almost two years ago for a year. Fun to spend the fourth with someone who has served. My girls LOVE the Allen girls. Little calls Baby Allen "Elizabel" - so cute and so NOT her name. Then there was food:
And swinging. . . and duck tape hats (thank you, Family Fun!)

There would be a photo of the Barbers but they took it on their camera and haven't emailed it to me yet. (hint, hint) I'll add it when I get it (smile).

Have a Happy 7th!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I loved the hats, I loved the cupcakes, I loved the decorations, and I loved that you all wore red, white, and blue!! Looks like a fun day! Jappy July!

I, too, am praying for your friends who lost their little one.

annaj said...

Such fun! So glad you had good weather.

Jawan said...

Love the hats! Adorable! Duct tape....what can't it do?

-JC said...

Looks like a good time! Fun pics :)

hey, don't forget to add my blog to your list of favorites...

amy said...

have i mentioned that i wish we lived closer?

Bethany said...

That last picture of Bubba is so cute. I could eat him with a spoon he is so sweet. (Is that a good southern mama statement or what)