Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

S*I*M*P*L*I*F*Y

At the beginning of the year, my friend Annie mentioned that she is getting rid of 5 things every day this year just like she did last year. My mind EXCLAIMED, "WHAT???" and I immediately resolved to ask her about this and potentially undertake the same commitment myself.

Today is February 18 and just yesterday I wrote Annie about why she does this and what kind of stuff she gets rid of, etc. She wrote back PROMPTLY (no 2 month delay for her) and explained herself and I have decided this is for me! She encouraged me to focus on one specific area each day and told me that some days she might count out five pencils she has never sharpened or five items of clothing she hasn't worn all season, etc. Five is doable, eh?

So, today I "focused" on the fridge and, specifically, outdated condiments. I was supposed to pick five but went ahead and pulled out all 18!!! to discard. (The first day I forget to grab five things I will tell myself that I have two free days of condiments saved up.) My fridge door looks great and it encouraged me to chop and freeze the two red peppers I had bought that would have gone bad if left another day without freezing. Thanks, Annie!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Simplify?! Girl, you are singin' my song. Proud of you for making that commitment. I think you will enjoy the freedom that comes along with it:)

Annie said...

Rock ON!
That happens to me ALL the time! I will get carried away in one area and end up throwing 25 things away. I think you will be surprised to find out how easy it is to get rid of 5 a day, ....and how often you will find yourself being able to throw/give away MORE than 5 a day!
~annie

Jenn said...

I LOVE this idea. 5 things a day? I think I could do that...
Thanks for the push!