Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ode to a Green Couch

I can’t remember when we got you
I tried to document your life.
The only thing that I know for sure
My parents gave you to me in 1995.

That means they had you way before
And used you in their home.
But then I moved to Georgia
And took you off to Rome.

During three years of college ministry
You held up girls aplenty
Then went to live with my sister
When I left the country.

My nephew’s spit up stained your seat
And food spilt on your cushions.
We knew to take you to seminary
Your limits we’d be pushin’.

A khaki cover gave you a fresh new look
And then it changed to red.
New babies used you to prop up and see;
Memom used you for a bed.

Then Saturday KB determined
That day would be your last.
I left the room for just one minute
And KB moved real fast.

The grape juice seeped into the foam
And stained your frayed and faded threads.
One quick phone call to “Dr. Dad”
And you’ve been pronounced dead.

And now you sit down in the dark
Waiting in the basement of our home.
The Salvation Army will try to salvage you
And IKEA, here we come!!!

The earliest picture I can find in my stash: Dave Kiewiet, me, and Andrew Young. This was after my summer in Australia, so at least 1992.

One of the latest pictures taken on it: the kiddos at Christmas.

Good times. Great Fun. Good Couch.
Good-bye.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh, that's happy and sad... goodbye, faithful green couch! Who would have thought that grapejuice would be the death of you? Better than a stabbing, I guess.

How AMAZING to see that picture!! I know ALL those people! And they are now all in 3 different countries - Australia, US, and New Zealand. Man, that was ages ago... Andrew Young's oldest son is married now - doesn't that make you feel ancient, Becky? It does me.
Love you, Becky!

amy said...

wow...it died. really?

which ikea couch did you choose? :)

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW - That's an old picture - i'm proud to say i know all those people too!

Anonymous said...

I love that you have a history with your couch and pictures to document. What a great sofa it was. I will be anxious to see a picture of the replacement. I am sure it won't be nearly as comfortable :).

stephanie said...

Be sure to post a pic of you new one. I LOVE Ikea. IS there one there now? Sad...and happy :) And you are good at rhyming.

annaj said...

Farewell. It's the ending of an era - and I didn't even get to say goodbye.

Anonymous said...

You are a master poet. I want to see the new couch-send me the link. :)