Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I just lived through the scariest 40 minutes of my life. Seriously. (If you can think of and want to remind me of scarier minutes, feel free)

School was cancelled today due to snow. There was some freezing rain throughout the day, but the roads were plowed and salted. Honey even went into the office for a couple hours with no issue.

As I left for work tonight the snow began again. In the four hours I was in the Walmart (management let me go home early) it snowed four inches. The roads were not plowed during that time. There was no salt.

I felt like this guy on the way home; only it was 10:45PM and I was in the ever-so-cool off-roading super vehicle: the minivan.

I tried to turn left onto our street but the hill was too much for said minivan and half way up I stopped - spun - and began to slide back down the hill. So, I backed onto Manchester and took off at a whopping 10 mph on a more roundabout route.

Again - no roads were plowed or salted. My shoulders are in knots, my hands permanently shaped into a grip (I am typing this with my thumbs), and tears could come at any moment. I was terrified. Alabama girls aren't meant for this type of driving! Even if they haven't lived in Alabama for ages.

The bright side? At least I am not this guy:

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am sitting in my airconditioned home because of the sweltering heat outside, so it is hard to imagine how cold it is over there. But it sure sounds scary. You poor thing! That must have been such a frightening experience. :(

annaj said...

so glad you made it!

Anonymous said...

And in Columbia, we got a measly inch much to the dismay of my children. No wonder grammy was calling to see if we were ok. I would say any of your 911 moments would be scarier still?