Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pursuing God's Will - Always

A few years ago Honey and I read the David Ramsay book, Total Money Makeover. Let me correct that. . . A few years ago Honey read the whole book and I read the first half. The point is that the half I read was filled with stories of families who went to extreme measures to rid themselves of astounding amounts of debt. I was floored at the numbers and so critical of these people's decisions to work unbelievable hours to accomplish their goals. I remember this one plumber specifically who was working a full day and then an additional job through the night. When did he see his family?? How did his marriage survive??

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others,you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:1-2

It's no secret that 2008 has been a banner financial year for the Kicks! KB's hospital stay, Little's EEG, Bubba's emergency room visit, KB's 7 ear infections and tubes, and on and on. (It's almost comical when you read it in a list like that) Top it off with a MAJOR car repair a couple weeks ago and we are looking at life through the eyes of that plumber! (a much smaller version of that plumber)

So we prayed and I gotta tell you - it was crazy how quickly we came to a decision and agreed it was the best thing. It is amazing how "on board" my heart is with it all. I am actually excited about the next 90 days because, while they are going to be CRAZY (like I mentioned earlier) I am confident we'll be right in the center of His will. Where else would we ever want to be?

"What's the scoop?" You are asking.
I got a job. A second job, I guess - one outside my home - one with a paycheck and scheduled hours and customers ready and willing to curse at me any time of night. Agh! Can ya believe it?

I've been hired for 90 days to help with the seasonal rush and they'll re-evaluate at that time to see if they want to keep me. We will evaluate, at that time, if I need to be kept. We've worked it out where I can go in and work three evenings a week and 1/2 of Saturday - sounds like a lot,eh? Well, you can pray for us this way:

  • Pray that the Lord would be glorified in this decision.
  • Pray that Honey's time with the kids and then alone in the evenings would be a treasure and refueling.
  • Pray that Honey and I would plan well and invest the time we will have together in each other. Time management is going to be important if we are going to stay connected. Pray that we stay connected.
  • Pray that my life would be a light at Wal-mart and I would have an opportunity to show His love to those around me. This is the Wal-mart 1.75 miles from my house - we are talking the people of my community in my life folks. What an opportunity!
  • Pray that I would learn quickly - I am not as young as I was when I worked at the Destin Wal-mart in college (that was the summer of 1991! OH MY WORD!)

And if you come to the T&C Wal-mart - choose another line but make sure to wave! You'll make me nervous but I would love to say hi! (and ask what you are doing out that late?)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you and Kick, time scheduling and staying connected, etc. BUT I would rebel at your request, if I knew you were there, I'd get in YOUR line, cause it would be the funnest!!!! Love ya! Banks

Jessie said...

Thats great! We are doing a bit of that ourselves...will keep you guys in our prayers...

Jawan said...

Wish I could ride down Manchester Rd. again and again to visit you. I'm a night owl so I'd come and be your bag lady.

You know what's gonna happen, don't you? The employees are gonna fall in love with you and ask you to stay permanently....just watch, I'm already callin' it.

Allison said...

I, too, wish I could come by and visit you at work. Mitch and I have been doing the Ramsey thing for a while now and for YEARS we have been working on our reserve fund. We have actually talked about me working this holiday season since we live right across the street from the galleria. We would like to save some extra $ since our car is rapidly approaching the 12 year mark. Volvo+old=broke. You know the story!
Anyway, proud of you guys for doing what you have to do. Hope it's a delightful experience for you!

Anonymous said...

You know what? I applied at a Walmart a couple of summers ago and DIDN'T GET THE JOB. I felt like I hit a low point then. I'm glad you have figured out something to help you all make it work. That's what the bookstore is for us. Oh, and these four goofy articles I'm supposed to be writing right now instead of checking blogs.

Back to work!

Anonymous said...

so proud of you and know that I would be at that walmart all the time. It would be good service and a sweet smile all in one! I will pray for the details for both of you.

Amanda said...

Good for you! Did you know that RR is a Dave Ramsey "endorsed local provider"? They say his name on the radio and everything (makes me feel like he's famous). Basically if somebody from North/Central AL call or email Dave for financial help, they get referred to RR and his group. They just had a meeting w/ Dave the other day. RR gives a lot of those books away. Small world, huh? I know God will bless y'alls efforts to be good stewards!! What an example!

Catherine said...

Well done on getting that job, Becky! I worked in a fabric shop once (in Indooroopilly - now I know you will know where that is!!) and I was a disaster at it. Now I am doing two hours of tutoring every week. It all helps, hey? I have to say, though, even just two hours does have its pressures and impact in the home! I will keep you in my prayers.
And thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog recently. It brought tears - how I would love to fly right over there, knock on your door and sit down for a cuppa and a chat! I never did get enough time to spend with you when you were here. All those young ladies took up all your time...guess that was your job.
Anyway, enough nostalgia... did you know I tagged you?

Anonymous said...

girl, this is probably me in january. we're going to trust God for more orders over the next few weeks and see where we are after the holidays. i've already collected applications from costco, target & old navy! who hoo! these are tough times-know you are not alone!

Kitty said...

I am so fired up for you, proud of you, a bit envious, and will now switch from the kirkwood w-mart to yours because you are there. will definitely pray for you and your man - that's just tough all-around, especially during the craziness of the holidays.

Bethany said...

I can totally relate to the mounting hospital bills. In 1 years time all 4 of us were in the hosptial. Then this past few months we have OBGYN visits, 1 hospital stay, MRI, CT scan and upper GI. Still waiting on those bills. If I wasn't prego I would do the same. Your awesome and I'll be praying.

Julia said...

Whats up with the crooked name on the name badge, looks like you got it at WalMart! Hahahahaha!!!
Nothing but love and luck these next 90 days!

Anonymous said...

you're awesome.
we need to chat.
miss you!!