Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Mine's broken"

I think "Pretty Woman" is one of the MOST quotable films EVER! That being said, I'll move along.

The world is so broken.

Last night I sold a pregnancy test to a girl who looked 14 and had to stand on her tip-toes to slide her card through the reader. She was shaking.

Half an hour later I did a return for a girl, her boyfriend (?), and two other guys - a baby toy. They got a gift card and she reminded the guys that they were going to buy "food for the house" with it. (This was at 10:30PM, mind you) They bought milk, cookie dough, the book "Twilight", and Mac-N-Cheese.

Tonight a guy tried to steal 10 gallons of paint.

I overheard a co-worker discussing her son and how disappointed he was that his father was standing him up again to be with his new family.

Don't know what YOU see when you look at your world, but "mine's broken".

10 comments:

amy said...

mine'ine's broken too. an old friend had a stillbirth last week...two days before her scheduled c-section. it's so heart-wrenching, isn't it?

Marcie said...

You are really getting a fresh look at the brokenness, huh? It is easy to forget the depth of it sometimes, when we are in the bubble. Thanks for the reminders of it, as it makes the Good News all the more glorious! Gotta go get a fussing baby. Bye!

Julia said...

okay..I am going to be trite but...I love the qoute "Mine is broken" I totally got the image of JR in her red gown trying to get the opera glasses to work! Thanks for bringing my happy memory down...

Catherine said...

So sad. I always just feel encouraged that "the eyes of the Lord are in every place, looking down on the evil and the good". He sees it all, he grieves at the sin, but he is also at work.

Amanda said...

Wow. That breaks my heart and makes me so sad...it IS so easy to get wrapped up in my little bubble and forget the hurting world outside my door.

Bethany said...

OK, I know it wasn't the point of the post but how the heck do you steal 10 gallons of paint? It doesn't exactly fit under the shirt or in the purse (and I have a mama purse). But besides that, you are right. The world is broken and I forget that in my world of church, home and christian school. I'm sure 1 day working at Walmart would be a reminder to us all.

Anonymous said...

"mine's broken" too and sometimes I wonder how long until we don't have to have a broken world- hurry Lord Jesus, soon.

Jawan said...

You know...I thought about that 14 yr. old girl all day today. Thanks for reminding me to pray for the lost.

Annie said...

You write so well. I was right there with you watching the girl on her tip-toes try to keep from shaking as she swiped her card.
Why does that affect me so much?! Just the few lines you wrote were so powerful.
Maybe because it is a picture of someone realizing how HUGE a responsibility a human life really is....and how overwhelming that can be...all the more so for a girl of that age and maturity.
Truth is, I think, that sometimes I want to shake in fear at the thought of MY babies' lives - those which God has given to me to care for here in this life. I feel so unfit to be their mother sometimes. Yes, our world is broken. Yes, I am broken.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, B. I lived that many a day when I did hospital work. Being surrounded by sickness and death was trying to my soul and often times, I couldn't think about it too deeply b/c it was heart-wrenching. Thank heavens we know Christ! And I second the comment that you have such a way with words. Always a blessing to read your blog.