Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of Preschool 2008

My little boy started preschool today - bright and early! "He is just a baby," was all I could think as I took him into his classroom and turned to go. He hasn't even turned three yet! Still, he was so ready. He went straight to a toy and began reading his letters and never looked back. The teacher reported that he did a great job - even initiated two sentences (both dealing with snack time). He said four or five things to me this afternoon too (that's new).

Little went back to preschool today. She was teary-eyed as I walked her to her room. But as soon as we walked in and she saw her friends, things changed. Amy said, "It's Little!" and Little replied, "I will give you hugs now" and walked over to hug her "long lost" friends. They went off together and she never looked back.

I read an article today about a lady taking her daughter to college and how she has been preparing her for that since she was two days old. How she is thankful for her readiness. How she sat in her daughter's empty room and cried for an hour after returning home.

There is something about the fact that both my children walked away and didn't need to look back that is sad and something very satisfying. I want them to grow to be independent. There is something equally WONDERFUL about the fact that each RAN to me when I went to pick them up! Both gave me big hugs. Little even said, "Let's go find Bubba." See, I want them to be independent AND I want them to value family. Maybe today is a sign of a good start.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And they both looked oh, so cute!--Marcie

Anonymous said...

Definitely cute! Yes, the independence is truly a gift, but how wonderful it is when my children are happy to be home, too :). Growing up is hard to do!

annaj said...

Lily looks like she is striking a "word up" pose.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it. Exactly how I feel this week too. It feels like we took a giant leap in our family life- which is good and sad!