Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Southwest - the FUN airline

My brother came to visit in February and he flew Southwest. He brought me a copy of the in-flight magazine because he thought I would enjoy all the great puzzles in the back! I did.

My daddy came to visit in April and he flew Southwest. He brought me a copy of the in-flight magazine because he thought I would enjoy an article inside called "Kids Stuff - or, 63 things to do with your kids before they grow up". I did.

While I can't share the puzzles with you, I can share the article. The good news is that, while I did read the article in it's entirety, I am not going to share all 63 things to do! Some of them seemed silly i.e. "Skate on Olympic Ice". I did circle few and I thought I would highlight them for you now. If you want to know more, go fly the friendly skies (this is not a paid advertisement).
  1. Run a marathon - but not all at once! I love this idea. They discussed setting a goal to run 26.2 miles with your children over the course of a year. What Fun! You can track your progress on a chart and fashion a finish line in your driveway before the final leg of the journey!

  2. Screen silent movies - I wasn't too sure about this at first but then I read, "the slapstick hijinks of Charlie Chaplin will keep your toddler in stitches" and I could just picture Bubba giggling and giggling. I think we might try it! And there is no fear of picking up bad language!

  3. Walk off the edge of the Grand Canyon - Suspended 4,000 feet above the Colorado River is the SkyWalk at Grand Canyon! It's a glass walkway - sounds a bit fascinating and nauseating.

  4. Make your own snow globe featuring your family. Find out how by searching for "snow globe" at hgtv.com.

  5. Read kid classics. They gave eight titles to get you started: 1678: Pilgrim's Progress (Oxford) by John Bunyan
    1726: Gulliver's Travels (Penguin) by Jonathan Swift
    1807: Tales from Shakespeare (Puffin) by Charles and Mary Lamb
    1846: A Book of Nonsense (Everyman's Library) by Edward Lear
    1868: Little Women (Signet) by Louisa May Alcott
    1868: Ragged Dick; or, Street Life in New York with the Boot-Blacks (Hard Press) by Horatio Alger
    1901: Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (Univ. Press of Kentucky) by Alice Caldwell Hegan
    TIME ETERNAL: Norton Anthology of Children's Literature.

  6. Make mud pies

  7. See a drive-in movie

  8. Bottle up lightning bugs

  9. Make a mobile

  10. Sled in sand - go to Colorado's Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve.

  11. Bust mutton - you can go to a rodeo and let your little one ride a sheep around the ring. Who knew??

  12. Spin in a circle

  13. Climb a tree
Now it will be your job to determine what "grown-up" is and if you are already facing crunch time to get these things done. I expect to go out tomorrow and see mother's spinning in a circle with their borderline grown-up children; pressures on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you, I love our husband,I love your children and I love your blog!! Memom