My daddy came to visit in April and he flew Southwest. He brought me a copy of the in-flight magazine because he thought I would enjoy an article inside called "Kids Stuff - or, 63 things to do with your kids before they grow up". I did.
While I can't share the puzzles with you, I can share the article. The good news is that, while I did read the article in it's entirety, I am not going to share all 63 things to do! Some of them seemed silly i.e. "Skate on Olympic Ice". I did circle few and I thought I would highlight them for you now. If you want to know more, go fly the friendly skies (this is not a paid advertisement).
- Run a marathon - but not all at once! I love this idea. They discussed setting a goal to run 26.2 miles with your children over the course of a year. What Fun! You can track your progress on a chart and fashion a finish line in your driveway before the final leg of the journey!
- Screen silent movies - I wasn't too sure about this at first but then I read, "the slapstick hijinks of Charlie Chaplin will keep your toddler in stitches" and I could just picture Bubba giggling and giggling. I think we might try it! And there is no fear of picking up bad language!
- Walk off the edge of the Grand Canyon - Suspended 4,000 feet above the Colorado River is the SkyWalk at Grand Canyon! It's a glass walkway - sounds a bit fascinating and nauseating.
- Make your own snow globe featuring your family. Find out how by searching for "snow globe" at hgtv.com.
- Read kid classics. They gave eight titles to get you started: 1678: Pilgrim's Progress (Oxford) by John Bunyan
1726: Gulliver's Travels (Penguin) by Jonathan Swift
1807: Tales from Shakespeare (Puffin) by Charles and Mary Lamb
1846: A Book of Nonsense (Everyman's Library) by Edward Lear
1868: Little Women (Signet) by Louisa May Alcott
1868: Ragged Dick; or, Street Life in New York with the Boot-Blacks (Hard Press) by Horatio Alger
1901: Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (Univ. Press of Kentucky) by Alice Caldwell Hegan
TIME ETERNAL: Norton Anthology of Children's Literature.
- Make mud pies
- See a drive-in movie
- Bottle up lightning bugs
- Make a mobile
- Sled in sand - go to Colorado's Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve.
- Bust mutton - you can go to a rodeo and let your little one ride a sheep around the ring. Who knew??
- Spin in a circle
- Climb a tree