Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Mirror Mirror on the Wall. . . I am my MOTHER after all!

I went to paint Bubba's height chart today and was choosing a brush. These are my mom's brushes; she used them to paint jugs when we were little:
"A penny a kiss.
A penny a hug.
We're saving our pennys
in a little brown jug."

So, I was contemplating how I was using the same brushes now and just how I am becoming more and more like my mom each day.

Last week I heard myself saying to honey, "I think if someone would just show me how it works, I would really enjoy Facebook." SERIOUSLY! That is just what my mom would say about something computer related.

Recently at the grocery store I had to swipe my card three times because I kept turning it the wrong way. SERIOUSLY!

We went to the movies Saturday - the 4:00PM showing. They charged us the "prime time" fee and I asked the girl taking our ticket, "Is 4:00 not considered a matinee anymore?" Her response? "A what?" SERIOUSLY! I looked at her and said, "Please don't tell me that they don't have matinees anymore. . ." Turns out they do - she was just a dipstick.

Anywho, all this to say - my siblings and I have given my mom a hard time for years about stuff like this. I have now come to realize something and it isn't pretty. My mom is not old. My mom is not dumb (I have never said she was, but our jokes probably implied it). My mom is a mother of three! All this stuff is par for the course. I am a mom of three. Heaven help me.

Yes, all of this from looking at paint brushes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a stepmother to a teenage boy and I 'heaved' when I heard myself say,"Not while you're living under my roof, you won't!"

It's amazing how we take on mothers' characteristics, isn't it?

~Mad

John and Sue Burch said...

I love you and I love how you love and honor your mother! Loving her too, makes it all the more precious!! May you be a blessing to others as they see you loving on your sweet little ones... and remembering how your momma loved on you!!!

Debbie said...

Take heart, I am a part of the "becoming just like your mother" club, too :).

Anonymous said...

Last week I heard myself saying to honey, "I think if someone would just show me how it works, I would really enjoy Facebook." SERIOUSLY! That is just what my mom would say about something computer related.

i loved the above comment so much because i have heard your mom say that same thing - it made me laugh out loud. i would love to sit down and teach you facebook too - i taught my mom - i think i cn teach you! love ya!!

Sarah said...

Once again, I can always count on you, B, for a good chuckle. Calling the movie theather girl a "dipstick" totally cracked me up. And dude--what the heck...she's never heard the word "matinee" before?? Who do these crazy kids think they are?! Is the word matinee not the proper nominclature anymore? Please clue me in, if you know the answer to this one!

Thanks for this sweet and funny post!